Total Pageviews

Friday 15 September 2017

Apple Crumble : The Lower Carb Way


Autumn is definitely the right season for delicious apple crumble, and I can remember my dear Mum making a wonderful variety of crumbles using fruits appropriate to the season. She made it 'the traditional' way with flour, sugar etc. which if you have a look around the many recipes available on the 'net' you will see the carbohydrate content could be anything from 65g to 90g per serving! Now, if you are diabetic this would have your blood sugars rising, (best avoided!) and if like me you choose to eat the LCHF way and restrict your carb intake to no more than 50g carb per day a 'traditional' crumble is best avoided!

However, fear not, Apple Crumble - which really is a symbol of great family meals and togetherness - has a lower carb version! Yes fellow low carb blogger Julia McPhee has a 'low carb' version of this family favourite and she says ' No McPhee family gathering is complete (without her version) of Apple Crumble'.

Ingredients: 
6 (Granny smith) apples, peeled and sliced
50g Butter
1 cup Almond meal
1 tbsp. Natvia
Optional
½ cup chopped nuts or Crunchy Grain Free Granola

Instructions:
1. Boil apples until soft in a small amount of water. Place in a baking dish.
2. Place softened butter, almond meal, Natvia, and nuts in bowl and mix together (real crumble requires mixing by hand), until well combined but still crumbly.
3. Spread over cooked apples and bake at 180 for 30 minutes or until crumble is golden brown.
4. Serve warmed with fresh cream or yoghurt.

Note that nutritional information is calculated for 1 serve of crumble and does not include cream or yoghurt.

Serves: 8
Serving size: 1
Fat: 27.3g
Carbohydrates: 14.9g
Protein: 7.1g

Recipe suggestion from Julia McPhee's blog here

If you need help with measurement and conversion please see here

We bring a variety of recipe ideas to this blog, and not all may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account. If you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.

All the best Jan

29 comments:

Tom said...

...something to try!

Catarina said...

I love apple crumble! I have oats but not almond meal. I will have to buy this ingredient to make apple crumble this weekend!!
:)

Christine said...

Yummy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I bought a bag of Galas before the storm and I was thinking about making applesauce...but this sounds even better. I can only eat a little fruit at a time but it is so sweet and good! Thanks for the recipe and your sweet comments. Hugs, Diane

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love apples. This sounds like a great recipe. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Jo said...

I love apple crumble, I'm intending to make one this weekend.

Martha said...

Apple crumble! YUM YUM!

Lois said...

I'm definitely ready for autumn and that recipe looks so good!

William Kendall said...

I'd like that!

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks yummy! Hugs, Valerie

Lorrie said...

Apple crisp or apple crumble is a favourite around here, too.

RO said...

Thank goodness they make a low carb version of this, and with Granny Smith apples sounds really yummy. Hugs...

Prunella Pepperpot said...

What a fantastic recipe.
I love apple crumble and now is a great time to enjoy with all the windfalls.
Have a wonderful weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Looks a very good recipe.
There is a nice low carb rhubarb crumble here too
http://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-rhubarb-crumble/

Annie

Elephant's Child said...

Apple crumble is comfort food isn't it? Enjoy your autumn.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

My favourite pudding this time of year is blackberry and apple crumble xx

happyone said...

Yummy, apple crisp, one of my favorites.

DeniseinVA said...

I remember my mum making crumbles. Your recipe is definitely on my list. Thanks Jan :)

NatureFootstep said...

I used to love this, but lately I have not made any. Don´t like the apples nowadays. :(

Carol Blackburn said...

I could eat this entire batch myself, I really like this stuff so don't even have it in my house anymore. The recipe sounds good but still too high in carbs unless one serving is all I eat on that day and and stick to zero carb foods for the rest of the day (lots of hot buttered coffee, etc). Hmmmm, it really is doable. LOL Now I just might have to make 1/2 a batch maybe......

JFM said...

Comfort food at its best...yummmmmm~

Haddock said...

Looks yummy.
Had a lot of Apple Crumble when we were in England.

Bob Bushell said...

A nice apple crumple, lovely. But, I love blackberry crumple fresh the bush, it is fantastic.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I need to make more apple crumbles and this looks like a good version

Lisabella Russo said...

Yummy! That looks so delicious...

Lisa said...

This reminds me I froze some rhubarb before we went away, I should get that out and make a crumble.
Lisa x

Magic Love Crow said...

Yummy! Thank you Jan!

Sue (this n that) said...

We've always loved apple crumble and were so happy to see a lower carb version. Still have frozen apples from our tree, so will give this recipe a try... thank you as always :D)

Snowbird said...

Looks delicious.xxx